Thursday, October 2, 2008

Blog comparison from Time Magazine

More or less I don’t have much of an opinion of blogs, maybe I just haven’t found the right one for me that interests me and entices me to come back and read it every day. I know its hypocritical coming from someone with a blog, but more I less I was pushed into it by an English teacher encouraging the sharing of information between classmates.

The first blog Lifehacker is my favorite because it bright and colorful and interesting to look at yet at the same time a lot of the reading material doesn’t really interest me. It’s about How To Get Out Of Debt (which I’m not in) US Hospital Finder Locates the Nearest Hospital (I already know that Yale is the hospital I’d go to) What's the Best Keyboard You've Ever Used? (I don’t think it matters all that much to me) Pay Bills Quickly to Manage a Two-Week Pay Schedule ( I’m not paying any bills yet) but that general range of the topics is nice it grabs the attention of a broader crowd and I’m sure if I kept looking I think id eventual find something in there that interests me, there’s hope.

The second blog Huffington Post which I didn’t like at all, mostly political and that isn’t an interest I like at all. I feel that if you read one political blog you’ve read them all. It’s also not flashy just the standard three patriotic colors red, white, and blue. Then there are the same pictures over and over again, McCain, Palin, and Obama, oh and I can’t forget the American flag. I’m not saying my country isn’t interesting but the elections this time of year become a broken record to me.

Finally, dy/dan which was my least favorite, it’s very boring and…white. I don’t know how this one got into the list of Time Magazine ranking of the most popular blogs on the internet. I wasn’t even interested in any of the Blog titles and I easily forgot its existence until I had to write this little paragraph. I read one blog, Sup Teacher? And I was a little annoyed that I had wasted my time reading it. Overall it was a little bland and I lost interest in the blog site after a few moments, I attempted to explore the page but I simply found no interest in it.

3 comments:

maddiemudpie said...

i'll swim the ocean for you kelsey.

and you WILL let me in

Miller said...

Kelsey, I appreciate your thoughts about the blogs, but your examination of the dy/dan site lacks solid examples for why you didn't like it as much. It's not enough to simply criticize, but rather provide an assessment based on real evidence.

I'd also like to know from you what makes a blog good? What are the characteristics of an effective blog?

Miller said...

Kelsey: Here's something you might be interested in. Check out the blogroll.

http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/